Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Finding the Right Mentor for You

Ya'll, starting out in the world of education nobody had more imposter syndrome than me. I had the degree and the certificates, but I was a high school dropout. How would anyone want to listen to me when I quit doing what I am asking them to do? So immediately I find the most read educators and start diving into their tip and tricks and styles and flare. I found Ron Clark, Geoffry Canada, and Mark Barnes to be incredibly helpful in shaping the type of educator I wanted to be like. As I switch interests and move "up" the ladder, I continue to search out individuals who will shape me into the me I want to become.

Finding a mentor can be a valuable step in achieving success in your career or personal life. A mentor is someone who has experience and knowledge in your field of interest and is willing to share it with you. They can provide guidance, advice, and support as you navigate the challenges and opportunities that come your way. Here are three simple steps to help you find a mentor who can help you reach your goals:


1. Define your goals: Before you begin looking for a mentor, it's important to know what you want to achieve. What are your career or personal goals? What do you want to learn from a mentor? Having a clear understanding of what you're looking for will make it easier to find the right person. Who do you admire that is already doing what you want to be doing?


2. Identify potential mentors: Start by making a list of people in your field of interest who have the experience and knowledge you're looking for. Look for people who have achieved success in their careers or personal lives, and who you admire and respect. When I was asked to find a mentor for my grad classes, I went to the person I wanted to pour into me not the first person available. I could have used my boss or my boss's boss, but I wanted to be a shark that was seen as an adorable stingray. I chose a shark to be my mentor. I also needed to know the person wouldn't just tell me what I want to hear, but be an unabashed truth-teller.


3. Reach out: Once you have a list of potential mentors, reach out to them. It can be scary for sure. Its easy to build up a list of reason they might say no to you, but honestly, they will likely be more than flattered that you want to learn from them. Explain to them what you're looking for, and why you think they would be a good mentor. Ask if they would be willing to meet with you to discuss your goals and how they can help. Once you have a mentor willing to meet with you, schedule a time and place that works for both of you. Be prepared for the meeting by having a list of questions ready and being on time.


A mentor-mentee relationship is built on trust and communication. Be honest and open with your mentor, and be willing to listen and learn. Keep in touch on a regular basis, and be willing to adjust the relationship as your goals and needs change. Remember to show appreciation for your mentor's time and advice. It could be a thank you note, a small gift or even a small token of appreciation.


By following these steps, you can find a mentor who can help you achieve your goals and reach your full potential. Remember that mentorship is a two-way street and that you should always be willing to give back to your mentor and help others in the same way.


No comments:

Post a Comment