Thursday, December 26, 2019

Hello, I'm the New Guy

Confession time: I am a portrait photographer. I am sometimes a second shooting videographer. I took a volunteer position on the media team at church where I learned more about cameras. I found myself directing shots as a video switcher pretty quickly after. I have helped direct and produce the church services to stream on our website. It’s a low scale and fairly low budget. Everything I’ve done in media I’ve learned on the fly. YouTube is my best friend.
Our media director whom I might say was one of the best mentors in technology I’ve ever had, got an amazing opportunity to serve God and develop the media ministry many state lines away. In the weeks leading up to his ultimate move, I tried to absorb as much information as he was willing to throw at me. See, before this… I was his volunteer right-hand man. I say this just because the guy just let me help wherever. He carried the weight of the team on his shoulders...that is very clear now.
He’s gone, and here I am. FBC Sapulpa has some of the most amazing volunteers in the media department. Most of us are incredibly green. I am old, they are young, but we are all willing. I had an opportunity to meet with the pastor so that we could discuss the church’s vision for how we were going to reach the community. I felt like a mustard seed so incredibly tiny, so unassuming, so ordinary. I say I felt like a mustard seed because I was ready to grow I was ready to move mountains. How much was I capable of? I really don’t. But here I am, ready to find out. Ready to grow and fail along the way. I’m not afraid to fail I welcome failure in many ways because it means I’ve got places to improve and grow. You see, I am a principal and ex-schoolteacher. Growth-mindset is kind of my jam. Always learning new things keeps the creative in me happy. 
So what I’ve decided to do is blog and podcast and video this endeavor. I’m opening myself up to be vulnerable so that others might be able to learn from our experiences and help their church grow their social community for the glory of God. I am looking forward to being his incredible obedient servant in this way. I want my mission in this role to be to glorify God beyond the walls of our church. I pray that we reach people searching for God on Facebook, YouTube and wherever else we can share the message. 





No comments:

Post a Comment